Thursday, April 12, 2007

Attempted Mexican Dinner with the Oliveros















Craving for Margarita led to a semi-homemade mexican dinner.

All we wanted to have was a decent glass of Margarita. Kristine decided that we should get some chips and salsa. She went to Trader Joe's with her hubby, Deric and went home with seasoned meat for Carne Asada.

And production begins!
Homemade:
Salsa - diced fresh tomatoes, red onions, chopped cilantro, lime juice, s&p
Mexican Rice - minced garlic, chopped onions, tomato product, day old rice (so it's dryer), cumin, parika, s&p

Semi-homemade: (NOT recommended)
Carne Asada - already seasoned from Trader Joe's, goes on the grill
Margarita - Sea salt for ringer, Mayer-Lemon Margarita Mix from Williams-Sonoma, Tequilla, water

Our homemade stuff are better! Salsa was great! Mexican rice was tasty! Carne Asada was hot. We get the heat, but not the flavor. Margarita was not Mayer-Lemony. But it's the first food product I've tasted from William Sonoma, so I wasn't sure what to expect. At least we know better next time.

Margarita is really best homemade!
3 parts tequilla
2 parts lemon/lime juice (I prefer lime)
1 part orange liqueur (I prefer grand marnier over triple sec)
Sea salt for ringer!

Carne Asada
Meat: Skirt Steak
Marinade:
Minced Garlic
Chopped Cilantro
Chopped Jalapeno
Ground Cumin
Ground Black Pepper
Kosher Salt
Lime Juice
Olive Oil
Sugar - just to balance flavor
Vinegar - just for added acidity

That was fun! But we'll do it from scratch next time!


No comments: