Monday, April 16, 2007

The Joy of Music To Those Who Cannot Hear

Some of the exhibit in the MCA did not make sense to me. However, there were a few that moved me. One of them was Singing Lessons 2. A DVD exhibit by Artur Zmijewski. It was difficult to watch it. When I entered the AVR, I thought it was goofy. Then I read the introduction: Singing Lessons 2 was a singing lesson for the deaf. It seemed like a really difficult feat for the participants. And yet they try. They try to learn. And They try to give it their best. They get better and better in each practice session. I don't know how they asses themselves or how they try to crack a tune. It surely was not quite a normal learning process. It must be difficult for them. But the apparent joy in their faces as they were singing with the Baroque chamber orchestra during the recital was moving! They sang with pride. They've done it. They know they did and they did it well, though they cannot hear the music they've made. Learning how to sing and singing, made them all very happy.

No comments: