Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Typical Day at Chez Panisse

My typical day would consist of doing Cafe work in the morning. (See 8am Intern Position Schedule). I try to finish as fast as I can because even if projects are targeted to begin in the afternoon, it will be great to have a head start before lunch. That way, my custards, which take about 50 minutes or so to bake are already in the oven while we’re doing the tasters and eating lunch.

When I get back, I can get the custards to begin cooling and free up the oven early for the dinner shift. In the afternoon, I work on fruit projects. There’s a tip and a trick to preparing each one so it really helped me that I’ve read their fruit book (Chez Panisse Fruits) too. I’ll end the day by cleaning up my station or moving to another station when I decide to stay in the afternoon (where I get another set of tasters from the dinner menu), take the garbage and recycling items out. When there’s not a lot to do and I can take off early, I go up to the bar for a shot of espresso or a glass of rose.

Chez Panisse provides us with office supplies too. It was the only restaurant I’ve worked at where I find sharpies and pens and note pads lying around. There’s an assigned locker for interns too. They are very generous. In return, it just expected that we consume what we’re given in moderation.

They also hold Chez Shopping every so often where we can buy some of their dry goods and ingredients at a discount.

No comments: