Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Unforgettable Flavors

There were a lot of flavors that I encountered for the first time at Chez Panisse and I will truely never forget them:

Fraise des bois or wild strawberries from the woods - tiny white strawberries! They're so sweet and creamy! I only used to read about them.

Mulberries - I’ve never seen them before. They burst like little pieces of jam in your mouth. So intense!
Noyao - Apricot Pits, one of my projects in the afternoon was to crack the pits and get the core in it. I had no idea what it was for, until I was instructed to steep them in the ice cream base! It's a whole new dimension of nuttiness!

Honey and Moscato - one of my favorite combos!

Creme Fraiche - I can’t believe how good creme fraiche ice cream is. I can never have enough of it!

Mayer Lemons - the best lemons I’ve ever tasted. Tart yet has a round finish in the mouth.
Lemon Verbena - Citrusy and spicy! I usually encounter them in desserts. I can't forget that day when they roasted a whole fillet of halibut on branches of lemon verbena! Delicious!

Fresh Figs - I’ve only seen dried figs until my internship at Chez Panisse. They’re the sweetest things.

Olive Oil - they probably use the best and most flavorful olive oil I’ve ever tasted! So fresh and fruity!

Pork - It was grilled and seasoned with only salt and pepper but it was really good. The meat was sweet and tender!

Green Rhubarb - I only knew of red rhubarb. The green ones tasted like green apples!
Matsumoto Peaches - they’re perfect! no bruises. Deep in color and the flavor was just so intensely peachy. I guess it does make a difference when they're picked at their perfect ripeness. I remember a peach picking field trip being organized, but unfortunately, I was on the schedule to work. I got to eat some though!
Bing Cherries - the darkest, they’re almost black but the most intense. I’ve never enjoyed fresh cherries as much as I enjoyed Bings! These bowls contained hand picked perfect cherries!
Sta. Rosa Plums - I can almost taste them from the way they smell. They’re almost perfumy!

I was seduced by these flavors. Hopefully I'll get to go back and work in California. In the summer too!

No comments: