
Most of the dessert production I do is for Lunch (AM) service at the Chez Panisse Cafe upstairs. In the afternoon though, I help out with some projects from juicing citruses, making cookies and candies and pitting cherries... A lot of dark and delicious bings!
Some of the PM projects I got to work with are:
Cherry Pitting (for roasting, for pies and other desserts)
Cookie Making (rolled cookies from puff pastry, butter cookies, chocolate wafer cookies, ginger snaps, biscotti, ossi de morti, marzipans and other bonbons, langues de chat, tuiles, Pain d’amandes)
Fruit Slicing as condiments for dinner desserts
Dessert Sauce Making (Chocolate Sauces for downstairs and upstairs desserts, Glazes, Syrups,
Puree, Caramel Sauces, Chocolate Frosting)
Fruit Puree (It can be very time consuming especially when we have to produce gallons and gallons of it)
Chocolate Truffles (Pierre Herme’s and Alice Meidrich’s)
Custard Making (for Ice Cream bases and Custards)

Ice Cream Spinning (this was something I was allowed to do after a couple weeks of training. the cream must be spun to perfect consistency without turning into butter). For the longest time, I've been curious why the little room where we spin the ice cream is called Otto's room. Later I realized that Otto was the ice cream machine... and it ran down before the end of my internship. It was one of my favorite machines too so I was a little sad when I came in one day and there's a new modern ice cream machine. I got attached to old school Otto.
Prepare kits for cakes and biscuits and cobblers for next day’s bake
More fruit prep (including breaking noyao or apricot pits for ice cream flavorings, they are very intense, like charry-almond but there’s a dimension to it)
Quick Puff Dough making - the chefs usually do this themselves. It’s the quickest puff dough production I’ve ever seen but I must say it’s really good.
No comments:
Post a Comment