The management turned her down when she asked if I can get an allowance even just for transportation. A lot of people are willing to work for them for free so, it'll be difficult to get a compensation for working there. I asked for 2 weeks before finally deciding to take the job. I was looking for a distant cousin or a friend who lives in the area that maybe I can stay with them and offer housekeeping services or cooking services while I’m there. No luck
One weekend, a friend of mine I haven’t seen in 5 years flew to Chicago for a surprise visit. It was so great to see her. We caught up with each other’s stories. I told her about my career shift and my internship opportunity in the Bay Area and she was so excited for me. I told her though that I won’t be able to take the internship at Chez Panisse because I didn’t have a place to stay.
And then she said, ‘what are you talking about? I live in Oakland!’ That was an answered prayer. She offered me her place for free. She lives in Lake Merrit which was only a 15 minute BART ride to Berkeley. I called Chez Panisse immediately and notified them that I’ll be coming in the summer. It’s like a dream come true!
No comments:
Post a Comment