Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Finding Chez Panisse

I decided that I want to work at a restaurant because I would like to own one someday. I decided I wanted to work in California so I can extend my knowledge on American produce. But where in California?

I follow chefs more than I follow hollywood stars. In fact, to me, they are my celebrities. I’m not a big fan of foodnetwork though. I respect them as much as I admire each of the tv chefs, but for my purposes, I would like to learn how to cook and how to run a kitchen, more than just to entertain.


I read up quite a bit about my favorite chefs and most of them have their roots of experience in California.

I’ve always admired Alice Waters. I’ve read up so much about her and I really look up to her for her principles in eating and cooking and sustainable sourcing. If ever I go back to my roots in the Philippines, this is one thing I’d like to take with me.

I decided that the best way to learn from someone I really look up to, is to work in her kitchen.
So, though I thought it was a long shot (since so many people are lining up to get a slot at Chez Panisse), I gave it a try. I thought to myself, if I don’t get it, at least I know that I tried.

No comments: