Came in early, like noon, normally on weekends I come in at 130 but there's just so much to do today
Here's what I did between 1230 and 430, almost in this order
- blanch peas for pea soup
- make lemon oil
- make blini batter for caviar service
- macerate tomatoes for gazpacho
- cut and confit potatoes for terrine
- caramelize cippolini onions in gastrique
- make potato crisps for caviar service - this takes forever!
- make caramelized onion tarts for caviar amuse - cutout puff pastry dough and top it with onions and bake them to make the tarts
- make the gazpacho - process gazapacho in a blender, season and emulsify with EVOO
- proof the blini for 1 hour then beat the whites and fold them in then run a tester blini, Chef Peter liked it
- cook and pass eggs thru a tammy for caviar service
- supervise 2 other people working the station
- teach people the knife work that i've been taught
- make dill oil
- make small diced salmon for caviar service
- ice and set up station
- season corn and pea soup
- bring up proteins
* there seems to be so much to do today and I feel really bad not being able to catch up. I used to be able to do better and move faster. I'm just so off today and what really hurts me is that I feel like I was running below Chef Peter's expectations. I've proven myself before but I just seem to be under performing today and it hurts me.
I'll try my very best to be better tomorrow, passionate about what I do and indifferent with the people I may not like working with. After all, it shouldn't matter. I'll do whatever it takes to make Garde Mange work, it's my baby, who cares who's running it. Chef Peter already knows I can step up so I just have to live up to that expectation
It wasn't too busy today so we got some stuff done during service. Chef Peter made the Potato Terrine today. I normally make it but I just couldn't get it done, I had too much on my plate but, shouldn't I be able to manage?
Today, I feel like a competent cook but an incompetent leader. Zak and Nik are awesome people but they are at that stage where I was a few months ago, trying to perfect everything while trying to work within schedule. It's tough.
We were sort of set up by 430 but not as polished as I would like it, we were still running up and down the stairs for stuff we forgot to do. It's always my goal to get all set up and ready to fire by 430 even if service starts at 6pm. I used to be able to do it. We just didn't have enough stuff prepped to day so we pretty much had to do everything from scratch.
While running service we did some projects too like
- basil oil-blanched and processed with salad oil
- parsely oil-blanched and processed with salad oil
- macerate tomatoes for tomorrow- yellow tomatoes macerated in tomato water, champagne vinegar, with shallots, some garlic, a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar
- onion chutney in port wine reduction
*it didnt come out as expected though because the onions were cut too small. Chef Peter wanted small dice and I didn't know too that onions had to be sweat first before being thrown into the port-redwine reduction
- shelf inventory
- make lemon peels for another batch of lemon oil
i think we could've done more, i was just really off today, i don't know why
i'm exhausted but somehow i'm looking forward to another challenging day tomorrow, the real challenge is working with someone i don't like. i think I can work with a moron OR an asshole but I can't work with one who's both... oh well... this is a true test of peopleskills. I can do this. I've dealt with worse situations before.
No comments:
Post a Comment