I only slept for 3 hours. I got home from Aqua at 1230 am. Usually I'm up for 2 hours more processing my day, what I did, how I did it and how I should keep doing it. It's a good habit to keep because it makes me remember what NOT to do as well
I was up at 630 to get ready for my day at Chez Panisse. I already know my routine down to the last minute. Get up at 630 (or 645 at the latest), leave the apt at 710 at the latest to make the 718 or the 724 train. Any train later than those trips won't get me to work in time. I get to Berkely at 734 then I walk for 10 minutes. I get to Chez's kitchen at 10 before 8 to get settled, grab a cup of coffee or tea and at 8am I get started.
Chef Mia Ponce taught me a lot about time management. I used to offer to come to work earlier because I was doing everything for the first time and I had no concept of how long each task should take. She suggested that it's better if I make it a habit to come in on time and work within schedule which I think makes the most sense. I work on my tasks from 8am to 1115 and certainly, everything can be done. It's good training too because it teaches to hussle. If I keep coming earlier than scheduled, the moment I come in on time then I'll be lagging behind because I'm so used to always having some extra time
Today though, I worked with Jehnee, a co-chef on training and Stacey, the sous chef who's chefing for the day.
I learn so much from everybody and it's good to learn how to work with different people comfortably. To each his own, they have their own style and own method of doing things and at the end of the day, I get to pick which style works for me the best.
On my list of To-do's today are:
1 - Bake off Catalan Creme Caramel (mix dark and light pouring caramel to make the base of the ramekin, pour the custard base without disturbing the caramel, torch the top to get rid of bubbles, pour water for the waterbath and make all 2 hotel pans of custards). I'm proud to say that I haven't had a major booboo in baking custards. The worst was when I forgot to torch them but they were getting cream on top so that's ok. I haven't over baked them or rushed them in the oven without water.
2 - Blanch and Peel Edilberta Peaches (from Matsumoto farms) for the Peach Crisp (I didn't know how to peel peaches before, today I figured out that in order to find out that they're ready for peeling, I should touch the skin and feel it come off from the flesh. They need to be shocked to keep the peaches from cooking). I never saw such beautiful fresh peaches before. They were nice and bright and juicy with hardly any bruising or molding
3 - Bake off Cookies to complement the desserts (I baked ginger snaps, pain d'almonds and orange almond tuile). I like how Jenny tells me to only make enough cookies for lunch service. With other cooks, I get asked to make as many as I can so the afternoon cook is already set for service but that's when I end up falling behind for my other projects
4 - Pick and clean Fig Leaves to line plates and copper bowls for fresh fruit service. It took me an hour when I did this the first time because i really didn't know what I was doing. After I figured it out, it only takes me 5-10 minutes. Yei!
5 - Puree berries for compote sauce and pick the berries for compote - I only got as far as pureeing. I didn't get to do everything because I had to learn how to bake off and mold the tuiles too.
By 1100 I started plating my cookies and the rest of the condiments and I started bringing the desserts upstairs. I like it that Jehnee pushes me to speed up and watches how much time I need to catch up on. I was done with everything I had to do in the morning by noon and was ready to get started on afternoon projects.
For projects I made:
1 - Cafe Chocolate Sauce (8c water, 4c sugar, 2c corn syrup, 6c coco powder, 1# bittersweet) - this is only half a batch because we didn't have enough corn syrup to make the whole batch.
2 - Fruit Stuffing (12 oz butter, 3/4c sugar, 8 yolks, 3c chopped nuts, 3c crushed amaretti cookies, 1/4c flour, Kiersh to taste), we put this in roasted peaches and they look like the pit. It's so good though. I added a pinch of salt after I added the Kiersh, salt brought out all the flavors of butter, nuts and amaretti cookies. I love it!
3 - 36 batch plain Ice Cream Base (1 1/2qt half and half, 4c sugar, 36 yolks, 3qt cream) I just love the ice cream at Chez. With fresh fruit puree or infusion, it's just sooo heavenly.
4 - Roll 110 Black Currant Chocolate Truffles - I have yet to get the recipe for this. I used to make the caramel struffles but this is a new one which is really delicious too. They can get so soft so they're not that easy to roll but they're really good. A splash of kiershe brings out the flavor or currant.
At the day's end, I just have to clean up, organize my station for the next person who will take the spot and photocopy new recipes. I get to go up to the bar to get a drink too. That's one of the things I like about Chez. Aside from really good and healthy family meals, I get to ask for a drink, almost anything I like from beer to apertif. Sometimes I just settle for a nice Italian soda.
Tomorrow is another exciting day for me at Aqua.
The best thing about working in more than one restaurant is learning how to jump from one kitchen to another not to mention jumping from savory to pastry and still get comfortable to get the job done.
No comments:
Post a Comment