I've read so much about the Farmers' Market at the Ferry Building on the Embarcadero. It's the first thing I wanted to explore since I got to the Bay Area. I'm staying in Oakland though so on the weekends, I just usually spend time chilling by Lake Merrit.I finally found a good excuse to go to the city to the weekend and that is to meet up with a very good friend I haven't seen in a LONG time!
Anna is one of my great friends from college. We've been friends for a decade now. How we became friends is quite simple. We were lined up next to each other on our freshman registration. The queue was taking forever so we started chatting. We had instant chemistry and the rest was history.She moved to the Bay Area to do her MBA. And I haven't seen her since. We decided to get-together at the Ferry Building to catch up over brunch and treasure-hunt at the farmers market. There are a few restaurants in the building and some tents outside where you can just buy food and sit by the bay for 'al fresco' dining.
We decided to share a meal like we used to and the portions are quite big anyways, definitely supersized for our capacity. We had some sauted halibut with white beans and arugula. For dessert we shared a huge slice of brioche french toast topped with some apple compote and creme fraiche. Simple. Satisfying.


After that meal, we just walked around to check out the produce. They have a lot of great fresh stuff. Fresh produce and fresh flowers too. I just found them a little bit pricey though.
Roses are red, violets are blue and these potatoes are too?
------------
Ferry Plaza Farmers' Market on the Embarcadero is one of San Francisco's main attractions, especially on Saturday mornings. But foodies in the know get their produce at this much humbler market near the Civic Center, without the crowds and inflated prices but with the same quality. 7-5:30 Wed and 7-5 Sun. United Nations Plaza, on Market St. between Seventh St. and Eighth St.
1 comment:
those red and green onions are also available here; but that's good on what you're doing. a good chef must really search for the freshiest of ingredients as well as access and availability.
keep it up. Mompette
Post a Comment