I'm used to making Nilaga (Boiled meat, usually boiled beef) the way my Lolo Bito does it. Although, I don't think mine ever tasted like his. His was just really flavorful. He uses soup bones that will simmer for hours with onions and black peppercorns. Then he will later garnish it with cooked Garbanzos, Cabbage, Corn, Potatoes and sometimes Chorizo de Bilbao. It's something I always crave for. My grandparents who are great cooks died a few years ago, leaving behind a culinary tradition at our family restaurant. So whenever I want the old school Nilaga, I simply request for it. Our cooks know perfectly how to season it. They even strain the soup as it's poured over the meat and the vegetables to have a rich clear broth. It's like the French Pot Au Feu minus the wine. The deep rich flavor comes from simmering the ingredients for hours and hours.
When we have this at home (in the Philippines), I do the 'ambula'. Instead of putting the dish on my plate with rice. I just pour the rice in the soup bowl and eat it in the bowl with my rice floating in the soup. It's even better with Calamansi, Soy sauce and Chili. But that's back home!
My friend Erika made me some Nilaga this weekend. I don't even know if I'm allowed to disclose her secret ingredient(s) that bring(s) out that deep flavor in the meat. It was soooo good I was slurping the soup! I must say it's the best Nilaga I've ever had in America. She turned the Phil-Am Nilaga from ho-hum to Holy Cow! Ang nilaga ni Erika...brings-me-back-to-my-childhood good! The Best!
No comments:
Post a Comment