I had fun selling small sandwhiches today. I was playing Sous Chef in Cafe du Juor so I had to take care a number of things durng prep. The Chef turned to me and says, 'we don't have anyone to work on the Deli station today, can you do Deli?' I didn't know what to do initially so I asked him want he wanted me to sell.
Cafe du Juor class operates the same way as a cafeteria except that we have to be a little more creative since some of the food are coming from various classes. There are some that we just have to serve, some we have to reheat, and some we actually have to re-invent. Re-inventing is quite a good exercise of creativity... we're forced to make money out of food that was previously prepared as something else or scraps of meat that we'd rather sell than throw in the garbage.
It's been fun so far! The stations we run are typical of a cafeteria too but we have a traditional station which features traditional french cooking from most of our classes.
The kitchen is designed for high volume production so it's quite convenient.
Typically, when we're one man down, we just close the station i.e. we normally wouldn't run the Deli station today.
Chef Freund trusted that I can handle it so I stepped up and said I can handle it. He gave me some scraps of Reuben and Turkey Breast.
He told me to make big sandwhiches so we can get them out faster since we don't want them back in our storage.
I asked him though if I can make mini open faced warm sandwhiches instead. The Deli is the 4th station. Before people line up for Deli, they'll be stopping by the Saute/Action Station, Traditional Station and the Pizza Station. By the time they get to Deli, they won't pick up anything that will be too filling.
So I prepared by snack size sandwhiches very simply. I made about 8 sandwhiches from 1 french bread, topped the Reuben with Thousand Island, Sourkraut and Swiss Cheese (which was the only cheese I had), topped the Turkey Breast with Swiss Cheese and White Mushrooms, ran them thru the toaster... and Viola! Gone in 60 seconds. My mini sandwhiches sold out like candies. People said they're a good alternative for a quick bite... but it didn't end up being so quick because they would line up for more!
That felt good. I thought that was a good challenge to make money out of 'scraps.' They were pretty good scraps.
No comments:
Post a Comment