Thursday, November 09, 2006

Ironic Cuisine?

I tried the new top rating restaurant in the country recently. It's in Chicago too where I'm currently at. I had to spend a bit of my savings for this dinner. (This is what I save for now). It was quite an experience. We had a 24-course tasting menu. They were more like, bite-size tasters but there was so much to taste on each plate: the sauce, the gelee, the bubbles, the foam, the smear, the topping and oh, the main item, I almost forgot. Each element explodes with flavors. Very entertaining!

In the middle of dinner, I curiously asked one of our servers about their food. I asked her, 'so how would you describe your cuisine?' and she proudly replied, 'Oh, we're serving Progressive American cuisine!' And so I asked further, 'What is Progressive American cuisine?' Is it like fusion?' and she replied, 'It's a little bit of fusion.' It's mainly American cuisine with Asian and Italian influence but no French.' And I got more curious, 'No French?' because in my mind, it must be hard to discount the influence of French cuisine in fine dining. I'm not pro french or anything but they must have really something special to even mention it.' She replied, 'Definitely, no French.' I was about to ask more questions but bread service started. Set on our table were beautiful butter quenelles.

No comments: